"Spring shows what God can do with a drab and dirty world."
~ Rainer Maria Rilke
I am soooooooo ready for spring! For tulips and daffodils. Warm breezes and sunlight with my morning coffee. For sandals and hummingbirds and journaling on the courtyard chaise. For the opening of the fresh produce stand. And putting away the space heaters. But especially, for the boost of optimism and good will that seems to accompany spring's debut.
Thankfully, I can see the early signs of spring's approach in
- the first days of 60 degree weather and folks in their shirtsleeves
- grocery shelves laden with tulips
- Easter candy, baskets, and stuffed rabbits
- new terra cotta planters in the neighbors' front yards
- a trio of feral kittens on our patio
- buds on our rose bushes
- the greening of the foothills
- the first convertible with its top down
- and the special sweetness in the air that seems only present in the spring
So, this past weekend, we packed away the winter afghans and overcoats, bought blooming tulips for the kitchen window sill, raked the lawn and planted grass seed. Started spring cleaning - eagerly no less. And I may even wear sandals to tomorrow's Garden Show.
I am soooooo ready for spring!